Application Deadline —June 1, 2020
1. The applicant must:
a. reside in subsidized housing defined as Project Based Section 8, Rural Development Section 515, Housing Choice Vouchers, Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Public Housing, Habitat for Humanity Home, Self Help Homeownership Program or USDA Rural Development Homeownership Program at time of application.
b. 2.5 Minimum Cumulative GPA
c. be a graduating high school senior from a High School located in the State of Delaware.
d. provide 2 letters of recommendation:
i. one letter from a person in authority from the high school; and
ii. one letter from a community leader
e. submit a 500 word essay (typed using 12 pt. font and double spaced)
f. prove residency in subsidized housing by providing copy of Certification Form from Rental Housing Manager or Project/Program Manager.
g. submit copy of official High School transcripts with GPA
h. provide list of extra-curricular activities in school and in the community.
2. All entries must be sent to the Delaware Chapter of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (DE NAHRO), P.O. Box 7045, Newark, DE 19714-7045 and postmarked by June 1, 2020. No late entries will be accepted
3. One winner will be selected to receive a $1,000 scholarship to be used toward furthering their education at a 2 or 4 year college or university.
4. Judging will be based upon the following:
a. 60% written application (academic performance and extra-curricular activities)
b. 40% on written essay
5. The winner will be notified in writing by July 31, 2020.
6. The funds will be dispersed:
a. Upon written receipt of acceptance letter from a college or university and a written commitment letter of your acceptance from the university or college.
b. Check will be sent upon receipt of above information but no earlier than August 1, 2020
In addition to the application form, please respond to the following question with a 500 word essay (typed using 12 pt font and double spaced);
“Who or what has inspired you to further your education. Explain your future goals and aspirations.”
DE NAHRO Scholarship Program Application Form
Application Deadline — June 1, 2020
City:______________________________State: DE Zip:____________
High School:_____________________________Graduation Year:_______
Verification of Class Rank and Grade Point Average by person in authority from the High School:
Class Rank________/_______ Grade Point Average ______/________
Print Name:_______________________________ Title:_______________
High School Address:__________________________________________
All of the following items must be attached to the application at the time of submission. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
1. 500 word essay answering the question: “Who or what has inspired you to further your education. Explain your future goals and aspirations.”
2. Two letters of recommendation: one from person in authority from the high school and one from a community leader.
3. List of extra-curricular activities in school and in the community
4. Proof of residence in subsidized housing
5. Official high school transcripts noting GPA
Signature of Applicant:__________________________________________